RMIT crash out of the FFA Cup at the hands of a strong Altona side


Altona City SC: 4



RMIT conceded 4 in the fourth round of the FFA Cup to end their cup run at the hands of Altona City SC.

The tone was set from the off when Altona City converted a corner within the first 2 minutes of the match. A well worked set piece left Altona’s CB unmarked at the far post who had a simple close range header to make it 1-0.

RMIT responded well by structuring their defense and trying to catch Altona on the counter attack. Sam Wood and William Barclay won a number of headers in the middle to set free the RMIT front men but the CIty’s defense ensured that the redbacks had no easy finishes.

RMIT had a great chance to bring it back to 1-1 but a sweet cross accross goals was just out of range of the two front men who would have had a simple tap in from close range.

Altona hit RMIT on the counter and some nifty footwork from their attacking midfielder unlocked some space for the attacker to receive the ball unmarked and finish a low well placed side footed shot beyond RMIT keeper Danny Graham.

Just before the break RMIT had a real chance to pull one back. Joe Cowen’s late run into the box from the corner kick was impeded by an Altona defender and the referee pointed to the spot. Barclay stepped up but his spot kick was off the mark and RMIT could not capitalize on the late first half pressure.

RMIT started the second half quite aggressively but the city’s defense remained strong and gave the redbacks a tough time on the night. Altona got their third goal when Andreas Paulson was adjudged to have pushed the Altona striker in the box and they converted the consequent spot kick.

The fourth goal came shortly after when the ball was worked from the right hand side of the pitch to the left for a simple tap in.

RMIT continued to try and pull back a consolation goal but it was not to be. Altona finished deserved winners on the night and RMIT have been knocked out from their longest cup run in their short history.


  • Sam Wood




  • Danny Graham
  • Andreas Paulson (off 78’)
  • Alistair Mitchell
  • Joe Cowen (off 72’)
  • Nick Barwell
  • Juan Camillo Alzate
  • Andres Castano
  • Samuel Wood
  • Victor Peraza
  • Graeme Pirie (off 75’)
  • William Barclay


  • Rory Keenan
  • David O’Reilly (on 72’)
  • Dan Jones (on 75’)
  • Julien Bibi (on 78’)

No Replies to "RMIT crash out of the FFA Cup at the hands of a strong Altona side"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK