FFA Cup Round 2: RMIT FC vs Doveton SC

Doveton SC comeback sends RMIT FC out of the FFA Cup.

RMIT FC’s FFA cup campaign came to a end after Doveton SC came from behind to win at Warritah Reserve.

A number of changes were made to the team that came out on top in Round 1 of the cup. Alistair Mitchell and Binyam Desta returned to the line up following injury and suspensions picked up in the qualifiers. Mike Jones was unavailable and Sam Wood was replaced with Kaan Cengiz due to illness.

The difference in divisions between the two teams was not apparent in the opening minutes with RMIT FC looking the more likely team to score.

A chipped through ball from Stefan Pachernegg was smartly picked up by Daniel Jones who finished with a sublime half volley to the keepers left on the 17 minute mark.

RMIT FC defended well after the goal and the front three were causing the Doveton defence all sorts of issues with their pace.

An injury to hard working midfielder Jani Dehler forced Badawy’s hands with a first half substitution. Charlie Beattie replaced and continued were the german left off with some strong challenges.

As RMIT looked to be taking their lead into the break, Doveton SC had other ideas. The Doveton midfielder was first to react to a loose ball on the edge of the area and placed a powerful drive to keeper Danny Grahams right deep into first half injury time. The timely strike was Doveton’s first shot on target in the match.

RMIT were slow out the blocks in the second half and Doveton dominated much of the possession. The home team went ahead in the 50th minute after a scramble in the box resulted in the striker finishing powerfully from inside the area to make it 2-1. Shouts for hand ball were dismissed by the referee and the goal was allowed to stand.

Doveton kept up the pressure and were awarded a penalty in the 67th minute. Graham came out on top with a strong save and kept RMIT in it.

The depleted squad found it difficult to create any clear cut chances for the remainder of the match and Doveton held out for the win that takes them through to Round 3.

Positive result considering the circumstances and RMIT will go into the season confident after a respectable cup run.

Man of the match performance from Alistair Mitchell who made some last ditch tackles to keep RMIT in with a chance.

Koster (c)
Kosinski (off 55)
Dehler (off 22)
Jones 1 goal (off 83)

Beattie (on 22)
Badawy (on 83)
Zwawy (on 55)
De Gortari


No Replies to "FFA Cup Round 2: RMIT FC vs Doveton SC"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK